Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Missing peahens, please help!!!
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Other poultry     
Motherhen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote

I posted earlier in the year about our peahen Princess, who disappeared in September and never came home. We never found any evidence of a possible death from anything. We had her for three years.

We have another adult peahen, Sweetpea. We've had her just a year, and she would be just about three years old now. She has also disappeared without a trace. She and Princess were best friends.

We are freaking out about this. So here's my questions.

Would peahens leave the flock and wander away? And why? We have two adult peacocks, almost four years old, and the four of them were always friends.

Is there any predator that would be able to carry away an adult peahen without leaving a trace? Common sense tells me no, but just seeing if anyone else has had this experience.

It is deer season and we are seriously wondering if someone might be eating our birds....

It is cold and snowy. There's no way she could possibly be broody, is there?

Recently, (this month) we got a new peahen to replace Princess, she's still in quarantine, and just a baby, hatched this year. Would she discourage the older peahen into leaving? the other peas can see her in her quarantine pen, and there was never any animosity between any of them....

Please help, someone, as, short of going around our huge rural neighborhood and questioning everyone, I really don't know what else to do....it's really too big of an area to put up cameras, since we don't know where they're disappearing FROM.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote

Your post caught my eye because I am thinking of letting my peahen out to free range but am worried she will either leave or be eaten!
Yes, eaten, a coyote can easy carry off a peafowl, I have seen it done.
I live in Oklahoma we also have eagles and other predators who will kill a peafowl but the coyote or stray dog will carry one off more likely, though dogs usually will kill them and make a mess as evidence but a coyote will just grab and run off with it. Sometimes not losing a feather.
Hope this helps but know it don't make you feel any better, I am sorry!
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Other poultry