Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  WORMING
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3    
feather
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote

Craig Hopkins has a good schedule for worming

Last edited by feather on Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
MSN Messenger
Ok Peafowl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote

n/a

Last edited by Ok Peafowl on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:33 am; edited 5 times in total
feather
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote

Ask George Conner

Shane_shepherd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote

I have a hen that has been sick for over a week, the male died. I came to the conclusion it was capillary worms.The vet gave me panacur wormer for it, but said you couldn't put it in the drinking water. I seen i on a post that it can be put in the water?
Also the hen is still really weak even though I have been giving her this for 5 days can anyone give any advice on this?
Dylan's Mom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote

Did your vet check a stool sample? Sometimes capillaria are detected that way, but sometimes they are missed if the adults are not laying eggs at the time. I just went thru a cappilaria scare and my vet found 2 eggs in the stool, he also gave me panacur. But it was a 1 dose now and another dose in 7-10 days. Panacur is Fenbendazole, so is safeguard cattle or goat drench. The safeguard is a liquid which mixes fairly well in water, although you need to change it daily because it does sink to the bottom. When I use it in water I do it for 2-3 days and then again in 7-10 days. The first dose kills the adult worms, but not any eggs, by the time you give the second dose those eggs have hatched and are now susceptible to the wormer. If she is still looking poorly after 5 days of wormer, I would stop the panacur, my vet said too much can have a negative effect on the bone marrow and immune system. I would consider an antibiotic at this point, if you haven't already, and also some poultry nutri-drench or at least vitamin and electrolyte supplement, to give her a little boost. It is such guess work with these guys and I hope she pulls thru for you.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote

If your hen is really sick dose her directly, don't rely on the water dosing. I use Safeguard for Goats (fenbendazole, panacur). If it were my hen I would give her 2cc direct x3 days and then repeat it at 10-14 days. When I water dose, I put 1 tablespoon of Safeguard for Goats in a gallon of water x5 days. Then repeat in 10-14 days for 3 days. I have never lost a bird to capillaria because I treat aggressively and often. My vet said you can't overdose on Safeguard for Goats but it will give them diarrhea if you do too much. You also might want to think about ivermectin incase its some other kind of worms/parasites.

Shane_shepherd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! I had been giving her 1 1/2 cc once a day for 5 days. It must have been something else or just a bad case because it didn't help her any.
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote

She died too?

Shane_shepherd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote

Yes she died!
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote

So sorry for the loss of your pair. I know it is heartbreaking.

Shane_shepherd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote

Thanks I have some more to take their place but I was attached to those!
casportpony

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote

helen wrote:
MY AVIAN VET HAS TOLD ME TO WORM MY PEACOCKS FOUR TIMES A YEAR WITH PANACUR 10%, GIVING 1ML PER KILO OF BIRD. DOES ANYONE KNOW, APPROXIMATELY, WHAT A 9 MONTH OLD PEACOK WOULD WEIGH? THANK YOU Question

That dose is said to treat capillary worms in a single dose, so it is not too much. I suggest buying a scale and weighing your birds so that you can dose them accurately.
MTZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote

I was on Back Yard Chicken forum and got so confused about worming that I just walked away from it...Now here I am feeling confused again...I contacted my local feed store to ask them if they had the wormers that you folks are talking about and I told him that I was going to be worming my peafowl with it, he gasped...He told me to use Wazine Liquid Wormer...I am wondering how come I have never heard of anyone talking about this product. It is actually made for birds...Also, he told me that I would be able to see the worms in the poop of the peafowl which I have not detected any...

Can someone please clear up all the confusion whether to worm or not worm???

Thank you so much...

I have NEVER wormed my chickens, I have NEVER wormed my geese, nor have I ever lost one, nor have I ever treated for mites or lice which seems to be another topic of confusion and I don't have mites or lice on any of my birds...

Please advice, I am new to peafowl and want to make sure they happy and healthy...

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3