Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  free range...pen needed??
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing     
isuperman35

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote

I plan to keep my peachicks in pens on my property for approximately 6 months before I left them free. Once they are free-ranging, will I still need a pen for them at night? Do they come home to roost like chickens or will they find their own roosts in the trees?
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:09 am Reply with quote

Here in Georgia USA there are varmints (predators) that would be very happy if I
would be foolish enough to set my poultry free. Twisted Evil
and twelve years ago somebody put a "mobile" home accross the road from me
complete with DOGS gaah
That "mobile" home will NEVER go away Rolling Eyes
so I can give NO advice about free ranging poultry except "don't do it"...........

Some people have reported that peafowl do come home to roost....that is until
something scares them away

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:27 am Reply with quote

I have 2 6 month old Cameo Peacocks its a pair. I also have 3 Amherst pheasants and a red golden pheasant. I put the pair of cameos out with my 14 chickens and they didn't leave the chickens side. they have been in a small pen until i bought them so being free is brand new to them. and i have barely had them a week but they know where there home is. so you do not to wait 6 months that is a myth. it took me 3 days to train them it is not hard. Very Happy
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote

MyBackyardZoo wrote:
I have 2 6 month old Cameo Peacocks its a pair. I also have 3 Amherst pheasants and a red golden pheasant. I put the pair of cameos out with my 14 chickens and they didn't leave the chickens side. they have been in a small pen until i bought them so being free is brand new to them. and i have barely had them a week but they know where there home is. so you do not to wait 6 months that is a myth. it took me 3 days to train them it is not hard. Very Happy

hmmmm......three days.....but it takes about three seconds for a dog to come and bark at
them--startling them so that they fly away and can not remember the way back home Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing