Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Ebay eggs
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
tnlobo420

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote

My 1sy experience buying peacock eggs on Ebay was a total failure. The seller in Scranton, KS shipped the eggs during the hottest week of the Summer. In addition, she failed to notify me that USPS X-RAYs all packages. Of course she refused to refund any money for dead eggs. So buyer BEWARE - especially if it is shipped from Kansas. Never use USPS and never buy from a lady in Kansas - that's what I learned......
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote

In 1989 I ordered some white peafowl eggs which went by United States Post Office from
Pennsylvania to Georgia. NO embryo formed in any of those eggs.
I am certain that rough handling caused this.
Whatever the cause I refuse to sell eggs to anybody that can not drive to my place to
pick them up. A few years ago I did make a test of Express Mail (Post Office) with a
friend in a neighboring state. A peachick did form but did not hatch alive.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote

In all fairness to your seller, and you also, USPS does not x-ray ALL pkgs. but it does happen and it ruins eggs for hatching. It's a gamble, you never know when/which pkgs. will get exposed to radiation.
As far as the temps. go.... peafowl DO lay in the summer so when buying eggs online it IS buyer beware... for many reasons... exposure to too much heat being one reason .
You cannot possibly expect the seller to hold the eggs until it cools off can you ?

If you should decide to try again I suggest getting the eggs somewhat early in the season while the temps. are a bit cooler than mid season .

Also, pay attention to what the temps. are going to be in your and the sellers areas at the expected time of shipment. This guarantees nothing for you don't know the temp. extremes they will go through on planes, in trucks, etc. but it could help.

Most sellers of eggs on ebay will go into great detail explaining about what all can / will go wrong with shipped eggs.
It's the buyers responsibility to read all the disclaimers and take them into serious consideration before buying eggs for hatching.

USPS is the most economical way to go with shipped eggs, you'll pay a lot more to have them shipped FEDEX or UPS .
You may get them faster with the latter of the 2 but that's not to say they still won't be xrayed, exposed to extreme temp. swings and considerable jarring during the shipment.

It really is not fair to the seller of your eggs for you to single them out here .
As long as you got your eggs in a timely manner and in good shape ( packed well and were fresh) then the seller did all she could , the rest was up to USPS to deliver them safely to you and of course to YOU to know how to incubate them properly.

My disclaimer : I do NOT know the seller who you speak of but I have bought and sold eggs on ebay and I FULLY understand both sides of the coin here.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care