Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Incubating different batches of Eggs in the same Incubator
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
asb

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:54 am Reply with quote

I have a problem that needs an immediate solution . So any advice would be much appreciated.

I have just One incubator (Brinsea 20 Octagon Advance EX) and No hatcher and none of my chicken are broody as of now.

I set a batch of 7 eggs to incubate from one of my hens. While another of my free ranging hens laid 5 eggs , went broody and started setting on them, but one fine day decided to abandon them for no apparent reason. I know mixing eggs from different batches is foolish but I was compelled to quickly put her eggs in my incubator along with the other eggs .

On recent candling it turns out that they are all viable eggs as of now but there is around a weeks difference in the developement of the embryos of the two sets of eggs.

I'm now worried about the lockout period.
1..How do I stop turning without harming the newer batch? &
2..How do I increase the humidity for lockout without harming the lagging behind batch?
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by burdgurl on Sat May 23, 2015 11:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
asb

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote

Guess what? Two perfectly healthy chicks hatched day before , without my turning of my auto turner. So in a sense this goes to prove that stopping turning 2-3 days before hatch date is not absolutely essential .

Before this I was thinking of doing exactly what you suggested, but was afraid that if I turned of the turner and hand turned the younger batch , whenever I opened the incubator the humidity level would plummet and shrink wrap the older embryos . I keep my humidity at around 55% and usually increase to 65% during the last 2-3 days . So I suppose the humidity also worked . Guess I'm just going to leave the turner on and take my chances with the rest of the eggs . Although 5 embryos appear to have died , and 6 seem to be doing well so far . Will keep you posted on the final outcome .

Thanks again .
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote

asb wrote:
Guess what? Two perfectly healthy chicks hatched day before , without my turning of my auto turner. So in a sense this goes to prove that stopping turning 2-3 days before hatch date is not absolutely essential .

Before this I was thinking of doing exactly what you suggested, but was afraid that if I turned of the turner and hand turned the younger batch , whenever I opened the incubator the humidity level would plummet and shrink wrap the older embryos . I keep my humidity at around 55% and usually increase to 65% during the last 2-3 days . So I suppose the humidity also worked . Guess I'm just going to leave the turner on and take my chances with the rest of the eggs . Although 5 embryos appear to have died , and 6 seem to be doing well so far . Will keep you posted on the final outcome .

Thanks again .

I've told you my thoughts from my well over 40 years of hatching eggs experience,
good luck and please keep us posted, hoping you will have a better % hatch rate in the future !
asb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:43 am Reply with quote

Hi burdgurl , Just though of updating you. From the 12 eggs of 2 different batches I set, 5 hatched . So a 42% hatch rate . But 4 turned out to be infertile, so in that sense a 63% hatch rate . Whereas, 2 died after pipping internally (perfectly formed, yolk absorbed) and 1 I think was shrink wrapped. I think the shrink wrapped one probably died when I took the chicks out. But the perfectly formed ones baffles me?So it does go to prove that one can continue turning eggs right till the end, casue I dont think the other 3 mortalities had anything to do with the turning.
Cliving8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote

ote="asb"]I have a problem that needs an immediate solution . So any advice would be much appreciated.

I have just One incubator (Brinsea 20 Octagon Advance EX) and No hatcher and none of my chicken are broody as of now.

I set a batch of 7 eggs to incubate from one of my hens. While another of my free ranging hens laid 5 eggs , went broody and started setting on them, but one fine day decided to abandon them for no apparent reason. I know mixing eggs from different batches is foolish but I was compelled to quickly put her eggs in my incubator along with the other eggs .

On recent candling it turns out that they are all viable eggs as of now but there is around a weeks difference in the developement of the embryos of the two sets of eggs.

I'm now worried about the lockout period.

How did everything turn out? This is my first time with hatching peafowl, a friend gave me 2 eggs, I placed them in the incubator, a couple days later he gave me 2 more, I added them to the same incubator, now 2 days later he gave me 1 more, I added that one...... so I am interested in what responses you received and how your hatching went
1..How do I stop turning without harming the newer batch? &
2..How do I increase the humidity for lockout without harming the lagging behind batch?[/quote]
    D C T
    UPA Forum Moderator
    UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote

CLIVING 8, I WONDER WHY YOU POSTED THIS. PERHAPS YOU NEED INFORMATION ON THIS SUBJECT.......BUT......IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE SELLERS OF SPORTS JERSEYS AND SHOES JUST CHECKING TO SEE IF ANYBODY IS WATCHING.... Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care