Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Newbie needs advice
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion     
mrs.wilkins

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote

I recently adopted a peacock and 3 peahens. They were being kept in a 6'x8' chicken run. I am so glad I get to improve their quality of life! Right now I have them in what used to be horse stalls off the back of my shop. It is an enclosed area that is 12'x36' and we plan to build them a new house and run this summer. I have had them 2 and a half weeks now. They are GORGEOUS! One of the hens laid 2 eggs 2 days ago and then 2 more that I discovered this morning. So my flock will likely grow Very Happy
What do you think are perfect space guidelines for them? Do they prefer outdoor or indoor space? I am in Washington State and we get a fair amount of rain and I read they do not like to be wet...do you find that to be true?
What do you wish you had known when you built their home? Tell me everything PLEASE! I am a total newbie. Very Happy [/img]
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote

mrs.wilkins wrote:
I recently adopted a peacock and 3 peahens. They were being kept in a 6'x8' chicken run. I am so glad I get to improve their quality of life! Right now I have them in what used to be horse stalls off the back of my shop. It is an enclosed area that is 12'x36' and we plan to build them a new house and run this summer. I have had them 2 and a half weeks now. They are GORGEOUS! One of the hens laid 2 eggs 2 days ago and then 2 more that I discovered this morning. So my flock will likely grow Very Happy
What do you think are perfect space guidelines for them? Do they prefer outdoor or indoor space? I am in Washington State and we get a fair amount of rain and I read they do not like to be wet...do you find that to be true?
What do you wish you had known when you built their home? Tell me everything PLEASE! I am a total newbie. Very Happy [/img]

12x36 is a fair size but if you can I would at least double that length .
Of course the more birds you have the bigger you want to go and you will most likely be wanting to expand so the bigger the better now! You can also always divide a very large pen into 2 later on if you wish .
Don't forget about pen HEIGHT, those males tails can be over 3 ft. long when mature so you will need high roost.
Also, they tend to fly up when spooked, ample head room is a must .
You need indoor and outdoor space, indoor to help keep their feed dry and protect them in the bad weather . Mine tend to go in when it rains but some will opt to stay out in it too, just depends, but they need shelter from the cold for sure.
They will spend most their time outside if the weather is not too terribly bad.
Per your hen laying 2 eggs the other day, the hens lay every other day...believe both those hens are laying for you !
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote

Your new birds must be thankful for the extra space. Congratualations and welcome to
the UPA forum.
Some of my wire topped flight pens are attached to coops but others just have a rain
shelter (or several rain shelters) in the corner. Why several? Because some birds do NOT
like to share. ......and speaking of potential violence--good hiding places can save a bird's
life. Even so, if a peacock decides that he wants to kill a peahen I hurry to put them in
separate pens.
My coops and rain shelters all have perches. The peacocks are smart enough to come in
out of the rain. Most peahens lay eggs under shelter but some drop eggs anywhere....
and I DO mean DROP. I have heard of owners who remove perches in breeding season
but I do not do that. But more than one of my peafowls were hatched from eggs that my
hand was there to prevent them from falling to cement floor. Very few of my peahen eggs
are peahen incubated and raised. Some peahens are just NOT interested.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion