Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  13 yr old peacock, listless, gaping beak, ruffled feathers
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health     
Jeannine

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote

13 year old peacock , showing signs of listlessness, ruffled tail feathers, drooping wings, gaping beak and watery stool. I am not sure what to treat him with. If it is worms or possibly blackhead.
He has not been dewormed for years, he free ranges and is the only peacock we have. He has been with us for 11 years now. We do have chickens also.
Please help
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote

My best guess is it has a capillaria infestation, fenbendazole or levamisole would be a good try for treatment .
Personally I have best results with Prohibit, you can soak a treat he will devour in it.
Give for 3 days...wait and redose in 10-12 days for 3 more days.

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2649&Itemid=2938

Last edited by burdgurl on Sat May 23, 2015 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeannine

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I did treat him with Safeguard
yesterday afternoon, 5ml/ gallon water, gave that to him to drink
and soaked some pieces of bread in it too. He seems better this morning. Still laying in the sun a lot but doesn't seem to be gaping as much and he is eating some. I will continue treatment and repeat like you said to. Thanks so much, this peacock is like a dog to us, we just love him!
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote

Jeannine wrote:
Thank you very much. I did treat him with Safeguard
yesterday afternoon, 5ml/ gallon water, gave that to him to drink
and soaked some pieces of bread in it too. He seems better this morning. Still laying in the sun a lot but doesn't seem to be gaping as much and he is eating some. I will continue treatment and repeat like you said to. Thanks so much, this peacock is like a dog to us, we just love him!

Your quite welcome, hope he gets completely cured..sounds like you're on the right track !
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health