Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  peahen mystery
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health     
pam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:28 am Reply with quote

Hi! I am in Australia so breeding season is in full swing. I have a 9 year old pied Indian Blue Hen and she is having "phantom pregnancies". Every second day she looks like she is going to lay and nothing happens. The first egg was shell-less and dropped off the perch. I have never had any trouble with her before. She definitely doesn't appear to be egg bound as she doesn't go around straining. Every other hen is full on laying at present and I have hens older than her who are laying. Also her daughter only lays one egg annually so maybe they just have a problem. I feed 22% protein with a small amount of corn, lucerne (alfalfa?) chaff, dry cat food, sunflower seed and meat meal added and there is shell grit in the pen and cuttlefish. She has laid heaps other years: one of my best breeders. The pen is in a lot of shade so maybe not enough sunlight so I put a little Vitamin D on the feed and also feed hard boiled eggs with shell on weekly. It is a new pen for her and she is with a new cockbird but she has been with him for 8 months, because the female she was with gave her a hard time. Hoping someone has some ideas or can think of something to try. Also gave her a trace mineral supp in the water.
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:47 am Reply with quote

I have a peahen (spalding) that has NEVER produced even one egg or even thought about
it. She looks just like her mother. Her sisters much younger than she is lay eggs in the
breeding season.
I have another old spalding peahen that produced warped eggs as a two year old and has
not produced any since then.

I have had three peahens that stopped laying and put on male plumage. Two of those
died and I found an ugly blockage in oviduct composed of rotten egg. But the third of
those was murdered and eaten so that the oviduct was missng

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote

I was finding eggs without a shell in my pen recently. I figured out that it must be one of the younger hens. I have 7 peafowl in one pen, so I figured the dominant birds were getting more food than the younger ones and thus that might be causing the shell-less eggs. I was told to save egg shells from any chicken (or other bird eggs) I ate and to give those to the peafowl. Any other time of the year they won't eat the egg shells, but in the breeding season the peahens knew they needed the calcium in the egg shells and they would eat the shells plain. I didn't even have to mix it in their food to make them eat it. I did however crush up the shells before giving it to them. They would readily take it. I saw improvement in the eggs, but I am not sure if the peahen laying the eggs without shells ever laid a regular egg. I know my older hens lay good eggs and lay a lot of eggs.

The food you are feeding them sounds great. I have tried giving mine grit and cuttlefish bone but I never see them eat that. They only seem to go for the egg shell but my birds are very picky!

If she has laid a lot of eggs in previous years, maybe this year is just a bad year for her. I know here in the US several peafowl breeders were saying that this year was bad for hatching eggs.
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote

[quote="jamesjon"]'t eat the egg shells, but in the breeding season the peahens knew they needed the calcium in the egg shells and they would eat the shells plain. I didn't even have to mix it in their food to make them eat it. I did however crush up the shells before giving it to them. They would readily take it. I saw improvement in the eggs, but I am not sure but I am sorry as I think "Jamesjon" is just a screw up type of person. Please remove him from the forum. thanks Jamesjon
=====================
OK
YOU COPIED PART OF MINX FOX'S POST gaah

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health