Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  HOW D C T STUMBLED INTO SOME MALWARE
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Completely Off Topic     
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote

First I let AVG free coax me to take a free month of their professional protection.
But when this ended so did my free virus protection.
So I tried to find AVG and download the AVGfree again. Somehow Binkiland.com
hijacked me and loaded all sorts of malware on me. I went to my control panel and to
the add/remove programs and got rid of some of them (and perhaps accidentally got
rid something else by mistake) Then I used my free edition of Superantispyware getting
rid of more but was warned that there was more. I ran the free edition of Malwarebytes
which found more.
NOW GET THIS NEXT PART OF STORY....a tiny window on lower right hand of monitor
showed a scan going on and gave a phone number for "notification helper". I played with
the bait and called that number. The man that answered spoke with soft friendly voice in
an easy to understand forign accent. He said he could fix the problem over the internet.
I knew that he wanted me to give him remote access to my computer and had already
heard of the disaster that can come from that So I very politely said "goodbye" and
hung up the phone.
The good news is that since my bank account information is NOT in this computer no
amount of spyware can find it here. I do NOT use credit cards or Pay-pal so they have
nothing to gain except except perhaps the pleasure that vandals get ruining things for
spite. I may have to take computer to a trusted shop to get it the whole way clean but
will try to do it myself with the mind that my Maker gave me. Will pray for Devine
Guidance.

Last edited by D C T on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote

While checking the list at "add/remove programs" I found AVG antivirus and remembered
that my attempt to get back to free version of this was at the beginning of this sad story.
There was the choice to change or remove. I chose "change" and was able to get back the
free edtion by "downgrading". After doing that I did a scan with it removing many bad
things. The AVGfree is back to scanning new email.

PRAYER ANSWERED run

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Completely Off Topic