Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  tail feathers on adult male noy shedding the outer membrane.
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion     
Douglas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote

I noticed last year that an adult peacock had many of the display feathers that did not shed the outer membrane. This year the same seems to happening. Not seen thid before. ASny ideas?
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote

Hi welcome to the forum! Very Happy

How old is your peacock?
I know of a lady who has an old peacock that no longer takes good care of his train feathers. He is old so he just doesn't preen them enough and they all have the protective 'plastic' looking sheath over each long feather. What she does is she catches the peacock and has her husband hold the bird while she takes a brush and brushes the peacock's display feathers so that all of the outer covering will come off.

Usually young peafowl are good about grooming themselves enough so that is why I am guessing your peacock may be getting to the point where he is too old to take proper care of himself.
Here is an old UPA article about the same situation: http://www.unitedpeafowlassociation.org/ABirdWithAStrangeTaleOrTail.html

I hope this helps!
Douglas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote

Hi. Many thanks for the response.
The peacock os only about 5 or 6 years. He displays well and fathered seven vey healthy young last year.
I had thought that he was possibly not passing through enough 'tough' bushes etc. but I will certainly try the brushing routine.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion