Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Perosis?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health     
LAB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote

I have a 3 month old peachick that eats, drinks, is alert, flaps wings and can grasp my fingers while standing. This came on about a month ago. It can stand with help. I was wondering if anyone had a photo of a peafowl with perosis. It almost seems as though it might be neurological problem...not sure. Has been wormed for tapes and capillaria. The avian vet said that sometimes tapes can cause neurological symptoms. I'm taking another fecal in this week. I'm not great on bird anatomy but the right foot joint on top looks larger than the left foot. Thanks.
LAB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote

P.S. Are there some vitamins that might help?
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote

there seems to be some confusion--or difference of opinion about what "perosis" means.
I have seen this word connected to a displaced Achilles tendon OR a twisted tibia which
are two VERY different things. And then there is mention of bone/cartilege growing
out of shape. I do Know that starter too rich in protein can cause problem in leg joints
of juveniles. Vitamins and minerals are important.
Your peachick is probably too old to beneifit from treatment by my methods but I am
always glad to look a photos of poultry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote

I will try and get some good photos. I was told by another peafowl enthusiast that the chick starter may have been too high in protein so I switched to a lsuggested lower protein medicated food. The peachick is about half the size of the others the same age. It's amazingly strong.
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote

sorry to hear about the problem in your chick , without seeing photos it's really hard to say just what your dealing with , I kind of doubt it's from worms though.
You mentioned the enlarged area on the foot...does this seem to actually be a problem with the foot OR the leg itself?
Dropping the protein is a good idea and you can supplement with some vitamin B " COMPLEX " for a few weeks and see if it helps, can't hurt.
The B vitamins are essential for many proper growth functions and many poultry vitamin mixes that you can add to the water and/or food will have a good balance of several vitamins , minerals etc. but try and use one that has a high amount of assorted B's in it.
Doing so may possibly help, mostly if the problem has stemmed from a nutritional deficiency of sorts.
If nothing else you can give the chick some human form of B complex , I add it to the water and/ or hide in a treat .
If adding to the water go kind of easy on it at first for the B vitamins are not tasty and you want the bird to for sure comsume it.
At 3 months of age it's hard to say if anything will help at this point but all you can do is try.
You also may want to take a look at this site for some info...there's a lot to take in there but could be insightful to you.
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Good luck , keep us posted and if you can add some pics. here please do.
LAB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote

Thanks for your info on the vitamins. I will check that out. I was spending time with the peahick tonight and took at closer look at the tops of his feet. They are actually the same size and don't seem swollen.
kathi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote

I realy wanted a mature hens for my peacock and was so frightened about getting a young one - but that was all that was available. I thought he may try and mate with her and hurt her. He was three and she was about 6 months. He fanned at her all summer - and got pretty desperate about things, but he never jumped on her...did he know she was too young? other people will help you on this question more than i can.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote

You should start a new topic especially when you are asking a question different from this old question asked back in 2013. Wink

To answer your question: I would not worry at all about keeping a young hen with a peacock. Peacocks are not aggressive on peahens like roosters can be with chicken hens. I never even saw my peahens get bred until they were 2 years old. Some people have yearling peahens breed and lay eggs, but here I only have peahens start to breed and lay eggs at two years old.

As a rule, peacocks will NOT mate with a peahen if she does not let him. A peacock will display at a peahen, then if he wants to mate with her he will run at her making a call like this,"Ooowwwwhhhhhhhh!" - It sounds different from the normal peacock call. If the peahen wants to mate, she will lay down and the peacock will mate with her. If the peahen does not want to mate, she will keep running and within a few feet the peacock will stop chasing her. He will not harass the peahen.

A peacock can have more than one peahen, so you can still buy a mature peahen for him and keep them all together if you have enough space.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health