Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Clothing for house poultry pets!!!
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Pea-Fun     
sctcat
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote

I just read a hilarious news article about a woman in Australia who is marketing fashionable chicken clothing for indoor poultry. So far she's only done chickens...maybe peafowl could be next?!?!?! Apparently chickens as house pets is a growing trend in Australia. This woman sells and rents "house chickens" in Sydney and Brisbane and she has collaborated with a wedding dress designer to offer "starry pink and spotty blue elasticized chicken nappies" (nappies being diapers). Under the label City Chicks, she markets other fashionable chicken clothing in addition to small walking leads and harnesses, wristbands used to identify fowls that stray, and chandeliers for chicken coops.

Hey, we're all looking for additional ways to make money off our hobby!

Stephanie (sctcat)
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote

that's a hoot. Know my birds could use some snuggies right now. Laughing
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote

This is not only hilarious, it's practical. Last summer, a "bad" animal dealer was busted about 40 miles from our farm. This dealer always showed up at poultry swaps and his birds were really sick, so he didn't sell much. (Even novices could tell those birds were in bad shape.) At any rate, many of the birds had to be humanely euthanized, but there were a few dozen that were treatable and placeable. Because I have a chicken quarantine area, I offered to take a few of the sickest hens.

These girls had been pecked a lot and had very few feathers and open sores. A nurse friend had recently sent me a humorous email about a group of ladies in England who knitted "chicken jumpers". These little jumpers were the equivalent of t-shirts with side buttons, and the pattern was included. Kelly had told me that if I ever needed some, she would jump at the chance to make them for me.

Well, I called Kelly and asked her to make a few jumpers for the worst hens. Within 4 days, she presented me with several of the cutest little chicken shirts I've ever seen! I immediately put them on the girls and took photos. I swear, I couldn't stop laughing at them! One hen really disliked the other's buttons (jealousy?) and tried valiantly to remove them. Other than that, the hens wore their cute little jumpers for about 3 weeks until their feathers came in. The chicken jumpers wash up just like sweaters.

I still have those adorable chicken jumpers, just in case I take a couple more injured hens.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote

My crazy husband decided to see if our birds wanted to come in the door to warm up today....guess it isn't that outlandish! I laughed so hard when they DID come in.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Pea-Fun