Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Too much protein???
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health     
tater27817

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote

I have the opportunity to purchase soybean meal in bulk. This meal is 47% protein. What would you suggest I mix the meal with in order to cut down on the protein? Wouldn't 47% protein be too much for peafowl? I have a supplier that suggested crushed candy bars (he has in bulk) but I do not think chocolate even in this small amount would be a good idea. I can use cracked corn, but I don't know how that will mix with this fine meal. Any suggestions? Question I also have the opportunity to receive spent grain from a small brewery in the area. Does anyone know how much protein would be in this? I'm trying to stop feeding a game bird feed. I would like to feed a more "natural" feed. This is just getting a little confusing, plus I am sure I'm over thinking again.
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote

I can't be too much help to you other than to tell you 47% protein is WAY over the top.
Too high protein can cause a lot of problems, especially in young growing birds.

Curious about the " spent" grain you mention , if you decide on that be sure to check for /be careful about mold and/or fermentation which can be deadly to birds.
You can try and cut costs in feed bills
but in the long run it may cost you more in bird losses and vet./med. bills.
Personally I put my trust
in the feed companies ( for the most part) and buy their what I feel is well researched proper feed formulations for various stages of bird growth.
Other than that, the occasional treats as bread and unsalted peanuts cannot do harm .

Wink
watson95

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:17 am Reply with quote

I have the opportunity to purchase soybean meal in bulk. This meal is 47% protein. What would you suggest I mix the meal with in order to cut down on the protein? Wouldn't 47% protein be too much for peafowl? Very Happy

casportpony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote

Diets in excess of 30% protein can cause gout in birds.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health