Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Will peacocks be quieter if they sleep in an encolsure?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing     
DaViD Boulet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote

Hi all,

if all works out, after a life of dreaming about it, I hope within the next year to buy a home with enough land to accomodate some peafowl.

My only concern with having the birds is the crowing by the males during breeding season during after-dark hours when neighbors (however far away they may seem to be) might be trying to sleep.

I'd let the birds out to wander during the day, but one thing I'm hoping is that if I've started them off in their pen and only feed them there (in the evening before bed time) that I can condition the birds to return to the coop for the evening. In the coop they'd have a covered area with very high perches to be well out of reach of predators (ie, having the bottom of their train at least 6 feet off the ground), so I'm hoping that this sense of security and food will do the trick (I've seen other poultry owners "call for bedtime" and have all their birds come running home to the bard to get fed and put to bed... hoping peafowl will behave similarly if trained).

Some questions:

1. does this make sense?
2. will males tend to crow less at night if in a pen/coop rather than out in trees?
3. even if they do crow in the coop, I'm assuming the noise would be less of a problem because of the enclosure?
4. general tips on keeping males who are in earshot of neighbors? is there a bird-count threshold to keep below that keeps them quite? For instance, are two males quieter than three, or is a male and a female quieter than 2 males etc.?

Your advice and experience are welcome!
DaViD Boulet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote

anyone??? Wink
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote

OK -- since nobody else is saying anything I will try to answer you. My long departed
Mother raised me with CHICKENS but in 1988 I was introduced to the peafowl species.
Peacocks do NOT crow but have a large vocabulary of other sounds. Due to predators
and loose dogs roaming my birds must be kept in pens that have wire tops keeping birds
in and varmints out. From my bedroom on end of house nearest to the peafowl pens I do
hear peafowls calling on some nights.
Before you buy property you need to check on how the neighbors feel about the noise
your pets will make...or....better yet, get enough property so that the noise will not reach
your neighbors.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing