Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Peahen laying and sitting in winter
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
Mandyok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Hello I am new to raising peafowl. My peahen had been laying this winter. She is now sitting on about 8 eggs. I know the male has been strutting but don't know if any breeding has occurred. Is it possible these eggs will be fertile I read somewhere that males were only able to breed in the spring-fall time frame. If that is true should I take away the eggs? Any advice would help thanks. [/u]
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote

If just one peahen produced eight eggs then some of those eggs are over a week old.
I have learned the hard way that an old egg will not form an embryo.
Even if some eggs are fertile cold conditions can make it take longer for them to hatch.
A couple years ago I had a bantam hen incubating peahen eggs on bare earth in
cold weather. Those eggs which normally would have hatched in TWENTY SIX days
took TWENTY NINE DAYS. ....and there were some bad navals so that some of the
peachicks died. But I do have one survivor from that group who bonded with me
while I was holding him back from death's door.

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote

One more idea Idea You need to candle the eggs. After an egg has been incubated for
five days a good candler will show the embryo as a tiny tangle of blood vessels. By
10 or 12 days the peachick's body darkens the whole egg except for the air space on the
big end of egg.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the info. I will try to get the eggs candled within the week. I will let you know if any are viable. She is sitting in hay with a heat lamp above her I hope this will make a difference. This is my first hen to lay and set. I purchased her last fall and am looking forward to some babies. I have 6 that I raised but they won't be 2 until August the 8th. So the six year old breeding pair are my best bet for babies.
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote

Most two year old peahens lay eggs that can be hatched if those peahens are with a
breeding age peacock. And speaking of peacocks--it is good to have one that is three
years or more old but I have known some two year old peacocks that did produce
peachicks.
But individuals of the peafowl species are, well, individuals Confused Rolling Eyes
I have had a peacock that would try to kill peahens. Then there is my second white
spalding Shasta, who hates WHITE peahens but can live with and breed a green one Confused
Perhaps he mistakes being white for being a male rival.

I have a green spalding peahen that is about ten years old who has NEVER produced
any eggs. She seems to be normal and well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote

So true about the personalities. I have a white peacock that is Second in command as I say, he knows his place but will try for a take over if Sir mix a lot, my dominant male, ever turns his back. As soon as he turns around though Second screeches to a halt and runs to the roost and gets up high. So funny to watch them. I take puzzles out during the spring- fall and sit and do puzzles and watch them.
I did have a question though should I put my almost 2 year old hens in with my 6 year old male even though they have chased him the few times I have tried. Will the breeding season have a different outcome do you think?
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote

If I see a female abusing a male I separate them in a hurry to prevent psychological
damage that might prevent him from ever breeding. Besides I hate the smell of
blood on feathers Mr. Green
Right now I have a green spalding peacock that needs to be moved to pen with two
peahens but must wait until I have time to watch them closely since this peacock will
be three years old in August but was raised as an "only child" and is the son of two
very violent birds.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote

Ah yes I have done the watch and protect. I hate the uncertain outcome of mixing them Sad
I have only lost one since I started but I cried for like a week, definitely would not like to lose one when trying to breed more,way defeats the purpose, but it's hard, if you don't try you already failed, so you have to try. I will but I might just wait till warm weather so I can serve and protect a little more comfortably. Wink
Thank you again for all the help I will send pics if I do get babies. Fingers crossed.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care