Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Rooster Foot Infection help.
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Other poultry     
Joe.G

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote

Hi, My Rooster has a infected toe/foot, the Toe split right below the nail and is about 1/2 inch long ( This is on the bottom of his foot ) I noticed he was not moving as much and kind of was just laying around. I checked his foot and the foot was swollen and hot and it stunk, I cleaned it out and i put Neosporin on it and wrapped it up. The next day I took him to the vet and he gave him a Injection of something and he said it should get better, I soaked him in warm water with epson salt every other day and I also kept it wrapped and used either Blue Kote or the Neosporin. the Swelling did go down after a day or two .

I have kept him in a big crate by himself and it has been about 3 weeks and there still is a scab there. Should I stop wrapping it and soaking it? Should I get more meds? Thanks

8 Easter Egg Hens, 5 Ameraucanas .
1 Blue Cochin,2 SL Wyandottes,2 GL Wyandotte.
1 White Leghorn, 1 Speckled Sussex
2 Guinea Hens Royal Purples.
5 Peacocks 2 IBBS 1 IB 1 IBSP, 2 PeaHens 1 Jade Spalding 1 Spalding BS 1 IB BS PeaHen,
2 Royal Palm Turkeys, 1 Male 1 Female
2 Rottweilers,1 Male and 1 Female Retired winning Show Dog Keeping A Eye On Things.
Motherhen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote

Foot infections in chickens take a long time to heal. I would recontact the vet. No, I wouldn't quit soakng and wrapping it just yet...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:42 am Reply with quote

You are the first to say that I should not stop soaking it, Yes it does take a while to heal I did put him back out into the coop so we will see.

8 Easter Egg Hens, 5 Ameraucanas .
1 Blue Cochin,2 SL Wyandottes,2 GL Wyandotte.
1 White Leghorn, 1 Speckled Sussex
2 Guinea Hens Royal Purples.
5 Peacocks 2 IBBS 1 IB 1 IBSP, 2 PeaHens 1 Jade Spalding 1 Spalding BS 1 IB BS PeaHen,
2 Royal Palm Turkeys, 1 Male 1 Female
2 Rottweilers,1 Male and 1 Female Retired winning Show Dog Keeping A Eye On Things.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Other poultry