Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Twisted Tibia - A happy ending for once!
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
Dylan's Mom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote

[img][/img] Just wanted to let everyone know about our experience with "twisted tibia" or TT rotation. We incubated peafowl eggs for the first time this past summer, we have had Peas for about 19 years now and had always let the hens do the hatching. As you can probably guess this never got us a lot of chicks, but we did usually get at least one batch each year. We never saw a case of TT in any of those hen hatched chicks. However early this past summer we discovered that 5 of our first 10 chicks from the incubator had developed it in varying degrees of severity. These chicks were 3, 4 and 5 weeks old when we noticed it. We had fed only the lower protein medicated chick starter and we had given vitamins including the B's, once a week. I kind of freaked, as I still had an incubator full of eggs and was certain that I would end up culling these chicks. The info. you find online does not give you much optimism for a positive outcome. I did end up contacting DCT and was instructed in the procedure for "night taping" the legs of the afflicted chicks. We both concurred that these were not cases of perosis the tendons were firmly in place on all the chicks, however the hock joints were swollen and discolored, the feet were rotating out away from their body, and their gaits were affected, in that they couldn't run, but would gallop with a very humping motion. We did the night taping for 4 straight weeks, never missing a night and in the end all 5 ended up with perfectly straight legs and no indication that they ever had the problem. These birds are now 5 and 6 months old and are looking great, their gaits are also perfectly normal. There IS hope if your chicks develop this, but I do believe that the earlier it is treated the better the chances are of curing it. I truly believe that I caused this by overfeeding my chicks. When we realized what was happening and I did all the online research, rapid growth and weight gain kept coming up as causative factors. I realized that because of the heatlamp my chicks were up and eating all night, as opposed to chicks raised by hens who eat nothing from dusk until dawn. I started removing all feed at dusk once the chicks reached 1 week of age, we hatched another 30 and didn't have another case of TT. I cannot express how grateful I am to DCT for saving my chicks. I have pictures of night taped legs and if anyone ever wants to see them, feel free to contact me and I would be happy to email them to you. Anyway, I just wanted to share this, as there are so few stories about this condition that end well. Very Happy

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote

Thank you for the good report Cool I LOVE good news and it has brightened my day
when life has been very rough here at dysfunction junction.
I do appreciate having the news about how to cure orthopedic problems made available
to as many people as possible Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care