Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Peachick housing
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
isuperman35

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote

Going to get some peachicks around 2 weeks old - 1 month old. I was planning on keeping them inside the house in a large cardboard box with fresh hay.

I ve seen a lot of feet issues with young peas, so i was wondering what y'all think is the best bedding?

Should i stay with the hay? or go with a wire bottom?

What about sand (if sand, what kind)?

Also, how long til peachicks get "fully feathered"? And is a "yearling" a one year old peachick?
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote

isuperman35 wrote:
Going to get some peachicks around 2 weeks old - 1 month old. I was planning on keeping them inside the house in a large cardboard box with fresh hay.''

A large cardboard box does not allow them several things they need:
Room to exercise, fresh air and sunshine.

I ve seen a lot of feet issues with young peas, so i was wondering what y'all think is the best bedding?

I personally brood mine indoors for about the first 4-5 weeks in a cage made from hardware cloth framed out in wood. This is about 4 foot wide by 6 foot long x 3 foot high with a hinged top for easy access to change their water, food , bedding.
( the more you brood the bigger cage you will need, I have this size cage to allow for 4 chicks max. )
The room I keep mine in has windows that I can crack open to allow for fresh air but not to where they will not get a draft directly on them . The windows also allow much needed sunshine but not to where they can get overheated from the sun either.

know some people won't agree with me but I find wire is hard on their legs & feet .
So, I keep the wire bottom covered in towels/flannel type cloth , changing it out often when it gets overly soiled .
When the chicks are 5-6 weeks old they go out to an enclosed building ( that has windows) and the chicks are on the floor at this point ( no wire) that is covered in shavings.

Should i stay with the hay? or go with a wire bottom?

If hay gets damp it will mold, I would stick with shavings but be sure they also stay nice and dry and changed out when overly soiled.

What about sand (if sand, what kind)?

Sand is a good substrate, just be sure it's clean and free of foreign objects such as wire pieces, etc. , amazing what you can find in sand at times that they can pick up and consume that could be harmful to them.

Also, how long til peachicks get "fully feathered"? And is a "yearling" a one year old peachick?

A yearling is a one year old and is fully feathered by that time. However, peacocks do not get good size trains until 2 years of age that grow longer after 2 years of age. Full trains are present at 3 years of age.

Hope this helps and hope some others will chime in with what they do, we all learn from each others experiences !

Good luck with your peababies !
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote

A pan of clean sand is good. (they will kick it everywhere but it cleans their feet)
"Play sand" (for children's sand boxes) can be purchased at Yard master's.
Actually it is fine if they eat it because coarse sand equals gizard gravel in small birds.
If you have sandy soil where you live--you can collect some, put it in shallow pans and
heat it in oven to streilize it. After it has cooled your peachicks will enjoy it

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care