Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  breeding half siblings
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote

I am selling 4 chicks tomorrow. One of the two pair I am offering are for certain half siblings...same father but different hens. I am recommending that they pair these two with the white pair that they are also taking. But, I wanted to ask about the half siblings just so I know I am giving them the best information. If they breed the male IB split to white to IB hen that will start to cancel out the white...yes? Its possible that the 2 whites are also half siblings as one could be a BS split to white hen. She is almost all white but has some scattered colored wings. Is is possible that an all white pair can produce chicks with color since they all used to be IB way back in their gene pool?

Arbor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote

The first question IB/white x IB hen - white will remain in a percentage of the offspring, and is usually determined by white flights and occasionally white throat patch. If the offspring are bred to whites, they may or may not produce white offspring, depending on if they carry the white gene or not.

Second question about whites producing coloured birds. I have never had it happen to me, and according to the general rules of genetics it probably shouldn't happen. However, there are often bends in many rules to accommodate odd things that occur.

As for breeding siblings, one generation isn't too bad, or likely to cause any problems, but new blood is an advantage that all breeders should pursue.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics