Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  One peacock and a pen full of hens
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
JrivrVue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote

Early this spring, I sold my other mature male. As a result, all the chicks this year are sired by one peacock. It dawned on me that I really need to purchase an unrelated male for next year.

I also have 8 young males that are half sibs and a few who would be full sibs to him. My knowledge of genetics is limited with peafowl, but we are talking a very small gene pool here. I think that next year, I should be adding some unrelated cocks to the hen house. I am in the process of setting up breeding pens now for next year.

If I can figure out how to post pictures, I would love to get some input on just exactly what I do have.

I lost two at about 10-12 days old. I am fairly sure that happened because they were put in the big brooder box too soon. I had an accident and had help managing the peas while I was laid up. There is so much going on at my barn that I think the specific instructions regarding the pea babies got confused and they were moved out of the incubator boxes too soon. I do a step down from hatching to an empty incubator for a few days before they go into regular brooders.

Would appreciate feedback on managing genetics. With too close breeding do you get health issues? My cock is the father of this years entire chick crop.

Thanks, judy. NE MS

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote

I am thinking of selling my 6 year old IB male. He is a good bird but he hates my white hens. He has been a good producer...this year 4 male chicks and 2 female chicks. I raised him from 3 weeks old and he will eat from my hand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics