Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  The making of Peach?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
WestKnollAmy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote

If I have a Cameo hen and a Purple male, can I make Peach from crossing them and breeding back?

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Not necessarily. These colors ( I call them pastels ) are all pretty much linked together and might produce any of the 3 ,,peach, purple and cameo at times . These colors (mostly cameo and some peach ) have a death gene ( birds start to turn white and go blind ) in them and some people will not breed them anymore. Go ahead and see what turns out after a few years.. That is the fun part, getting to see what turns our, keep good records. Out cross will help maybe to get out the death gene. I have a 75% cameo spalding and a cameo hen and that is about all I have left. I have a 75% spalding split to peach and have hatched both cameo and peach faemales from him. Nothing is for sure in birds when you deal with splits. connerhills
WestKnollAmy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote

Interesting.
I still have a lot to learn on breeding peas. I fear it may take me another 20 years to learn as I do better with experience but I don't want to breed birds that are likely to have problems either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics