Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Need ideas for a Aviary for my Peafowl, bunch of question
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing     
Joe.G

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Hi, I already have a idea in my head as to what I want to do, It is going to be 20x16x8 or 9 ft high I have Pressure treated lumber, the frame is going to be 2x8 and 4x4 posts, there will be some 2x6 and 2x4 for bracing and what not.

I am going to put a door on one of the 16 ft sides in the corner and on the opposite end on the other 16ft wall I am going to sometime over the summer add a small coop just so they have some place to go to get out of the weather, this coop will be build outside of the Aviary with a small entrance for them to go back and forth though, the coop will be prob about 6x8x8 or something along those lines.

I plan to wrap the whole thing, sides and ceiling in 1/2x1/2 hardware cloth, Figured this stuff is pretty strong and should hold up well, I thought about using 1x2 welded wire but I think it is going to cost a bunch, I plan on buying 2 100 ft rolls. I'll prob also put one layer of hardware cloth down on the ground on the inside of the aviary, prob just one pass on the outer edge.

I may cover the top with a tarp for now , and maybe add a roof down the road or cover half and leave half open.

I would like to add some stuff in the inside, I don't know if I should leave the grass, or put wood chips or sand.

What about plants or trees? bushes? How many Peafowl could I keep in this size aviary? I have 2 Males and a female at the moment, I would like to add another female. Thanks

8 Easter Egg Hens, 5 Ameraucanas .
1 Blue Cochin,2 SL Wyandottes,2 GL Wyandotte.
1 White Leghorn, 1 Speckled Sussex
2 Guinea Hens Royal Purples.
5 Peacocks 2 IBBS 1 IB 1 IBSP, 2 PeaHens 1 Jade Spalding 1 Spalding BS 1 IB BS PeaHen,
2 Royal Palm Turkeys, 1 Male 1 Female
2 Rottweilers,1 Male and 1 Female Retired winning Show Dog Keeping A Eye On Things.
Joe.G

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote

So should I use 1x2 Welded Wire instead of 1/2x1/2 Hardware cloth? Should I use Netting or Chicken wire for the top ( Ceiling )? I want it to look good and also be safe. Thanks

5 Peacocks 2 IBBS 1 IB 1 IBSP, 2 PeaHens 1 Jade Spalding 1 Spalding BS 1 IB BS PeaHen,
2 Rottweilers,1 Male and 1 Female Retired winning Show Dog Keeping A Eye On Things.
Joe.G

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote

Ok I picked up two 48" X 100 ft rolls of 1/2X1" Welded Wire, And I picked up a 150 ft roll of 72" Chicken wire for the top with 1 Inch Holes. Hope this is goo, I know it wasn't cheap.

Joe.G

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:35 am Reply with quote

SO I have the Aviary up, it is 16 W x 20 L x 8.5 H, I have attached a 8 W x 10 L x 8 H coop to one of the 16 FT sides, I'll have a door into the aviary and a door into the coop on the same side, I am only going to put a small opening from coop into aviary. I am doing a Shed type roof which pitches one way.

It's kind of like I am having a conversation with myself here, Any one have any input?

connerhills
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote

Were listening Joe. The wire will not last as long as the polynet but is used a lot for tops. Suggest you make a larger coop for the birds.. It seems like a person outgrows the space pretty fast. Be making plans on how to expand. maybe add the coop to include another coop to be on the next pen beside the one you are working on now. Smile George
Joe.G

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote

I have to stop somewhere, I can always add another coop to the other side or next to this one, I am building a barn and a shop also, My GF will kill me if I keep building things. I think this is big Enough for 4 Birds.

Don't Peafowl end to like to stay outside in there Aviary more so then there indoor coop?

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing