Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  What kind of Feeder and water containers do you guys use?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion     
Joe.G

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote

Hi, i use the enclosed Feeders and water containers for my Chickens,I was wondering what I should use for my Pea fowl, Right now I am just using big Rubber dishes, I would like to get something different.

These are what I am using now for my Chickens, Would these be ok for Peafowl?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/harris-farms-hanging-feeder-for-20-40-birds-30-lb-capacity-2167141

http://www.tractorsupply.com/harris-farms-double-wall-drinker-5-gal-capacity-2167191

8 Easter Egg Hens, 5 Ameraucanas .
1 Blue Cochin,2 SL Wyandottes,2 GL Wyandotte.
1 White Leghorn, 1 Speckled Sussex
2 Guinea Hens Royal Purples.
5 Peacocks 2 IBBS 1 IB 1 IBSP, 2 PeaHens 1 Jade Spalding 1 Spalding BS 1 IB BS PeaHen,
2 Royal Palm Turkeys, 1 Male 1 Female
2 Rottweilers,1 Male and 1 Female Retired winning Show Dog Keeping A Eye On Things.
WestKnollAmy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:46 am Reply with quote

I do not even have mine at home but where I go to care for them in their old home all they have for water containers are buckets up against the wall. The feeders are big metal hoppers. They used to have long metal trays for the feed but I think the rain got in those too often, the birds may have tried to roost on them or they tended to waste a lot of food by slinging it out.

I am the type of person to want to monitor their daily feed intake so I prefer the hoppers right now and removed the big metal trays. I am sure I will continue to use buckets, probably the 3 gallon ones, for water. I like being able to see what is in it, dumping and scrubbing them and filling with my water hose. I already care for more than 40 pens of breeding birds so I figure the peas will be treated a lot the same way.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote

I have the big tray feeders also, it just seems like you said they roost on them and make a mess.

8 Easter Egg Hens, 5 Ameraucanas .
1 Blue Cochin,2 SL Wyandottes,2 GL Wyandotte.
1 White Leghorn, 1 Speckled Sussex
2 Guinea Hens Royal Purples.
5 Peacocks 2 IBBS 1 IB 1 IBSP, 2 PeaHens 1 Jade Spalding 1 Spalding BS 1 IB BS PeaHen,
2 Royal Palm Turkeys, 1 Male 1 Female
2 Rottweilers,1 Male and 1 Female Retired winning Show Dog Keeping A Eye On Things.
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote

I use black rubber buckets for water and tray feeders. I have a roof (rain shield) about 2 feet over the tray feeders that keep the feed dry and discourage the peas from sitting on the tray. It's worked well for over 10 years so no changes have been made.

The rubber buckets are handy for water during the winter - being black, they warm quickly and melt the ice. And because they are rubber, it's easy to kick the ice out of them and change the water without damaging the bucket.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion