Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Java Gender advice needed please
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics Goto page Previous  1, 2    
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:52 am Reply with quote

MinxFox wrote:
Here is a great website for helping you tell between the males and females. Look at the face that should help a lot peahens will have the brown loral patch and the peacocks will have a blue one.

http://www.galliform.es/post/1306556768/greenpeafowl

thank you, will try and get a closer look at that area and see if I can tell the color diff., IF there is any . HOPE HOPE I have a male and a female !
vsa01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote

Hi,

They are nice birds, I am in the UK so I have not seen any US bloodlines develop, however here are my thoughts:

In terms of purity, It really is impossible to say, if they are Spaulding they are very high percentage - its an example of why hybrids are pretty damaging to captive green peafowl. It will be down to trusting the person/bloodline you got them off. There is an article on my website dealing with hybrids, but it focuses mainly on adult birds.

From the photos I think the bird below is most likely to be female. I have added a picture of one of my females at a similar age underneath (F) and put rings around what I am comparing.

Working left to right:

Eye stripe, seems suitably brown/green ie female, however I would caution using it as a strong indicator in a bird this young, it can be difficult to tell from photos and will become clearer after the next moult.

Orange (primary) flight feathers and alula have strong black barring, this is a typical female trait.

The tail feathers retain light barring, another female trait. I would note it is not as strong as in my bird. The bird in the background of my picture (M) is a male around 1 year old. notice the tail has no barring at all.

The other bird is much more difficult, because of the photos are less clear in the areas above. Would really need photos of the wing showing the primary feathers, and also the tail - getting them is easier said than done, I know!! - before I could say what I thought.

Hope this is some help, to give you an idea of what to look for.

Regards,

Jon
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote

vsa01 wrote:
Hi,

They are nice birds, I am in the UK so I have not seen any US bloodlines develop, however here are my thoughts:

In terms of purity, It really is impossible to say, if they are Spaulding they are very high percentage - its an example of why hybrids are pretty damaging to captive green peafowl. It will be down to trusting the person/bloodline you got them off. There is an article on my website dealing with hybrids, but it focuses mainly on adult birds.

From the photos I think the bird below is most likely to be female. I have added a picture of one of my females at a similar age underneath (F) and put rings around what I am comparing.

Working left to right:

Eye stripe, seems suitably brown/green ie female, however I would caution using it as a strong indicator in a bird this young, it can be difficult to tell from photos and will become clearer after the next moult.

Orange (primary) flight feathers and alula have strong black barring, this is a typical female trait.

The tail feathers retain light barring, another female trait. I would note it is not as strong as in my bird. The bird in the background of my picture (M) is a male around 1 year old. notice the tail has no barring at all.

The other bird is much more difficult, because of the photos are less clear in the areas above. Would really need photos of the wing showing the primary feathers, and also the tail - getting them is easier said than done, I know!! - before I could say what I thought.

Hope this is some help, to give you an idea of what to look for.

Regards,

Jon

Jon,

Thank you so much, I was hoping/looking forward to your input !
I have more photos of the other bird, will get them uploaded soon .
It now would appear though.. with the barring being the same on both birds.. that I have 2 females .

You have a wonderful website and great knowledge when it comes to these birds, thank you again !
vsa01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

My pleasure. Apologies for the lateness of my replies I did set this topic to email me when something's posted but it doesn't seem to be working.

If you do have two females then once you find a male it will be a trio - so always an upside!! Laughing

I was looking back through the forum to see if I could find any other US birds, There was another Green Peafowl causing problems with identification -

http://www.andyspeafowlsanctuary.com/java-green.php

This one turns out male, however when young it did have some barring (although quite light and restricted to a few feathers).

In those photos where you see this the bird is quite a bit younger than your two - look at the photos of it as it grows and the barring has gone, the primaries are mostly orange:

http://www.andyspeafowlsanctuary.com/resources/feb20011%20068.JPG

Also in that photo you can clearly see, green eye stripe, start of the wedge of feathers on the wing, and advanced spur growth. All traits you would expect to be developing for a male.

Do upload the other photos and I will take a look.

Jon
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote

Thank you Jon, again your help is SO GREATLY appreciated !

Just a couple pics. for now, here is a good one of the wing of the other bird :

Here is one showing the tails of both birds.
The other bird you wanted to see more of is on the right and has stronger barring .
The one on the left is developing more pronounced little spur buds but I realize females can/will have small buds .
vsa01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote

Hello,

Again sorry for the lateness of this, I completely forgot.

The one on the right is defiantly female.

The left one is showing more mixed signs. As I mentioned previously had it been from european bloodlines I would have said female, at this stage I would still say female however the spur growth is advanced compared to the other, and the barring on the tail is not as strong as I would expect.

The options are to let it develop and see (it will get easier to distinguish in the second year if it is male) or If you were interested in getting an definite answer to help with planning you could always have that bird DNA sexed. A company called Avianbiotec offers the service it in the UK, I am sure there will be equivalent companies in the US.

Hope thats of some help,

Jon
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote

Jon,

As usual you are a HUGE help, cannot thank you enough.
Not to worry about delay in replying, I too have little time to check these forums.
I may go with the DNA or just wait it out and see .
As of now, both of them are showing almost identical spur growth...time will tell.
Thanks again dear !
Friedrich

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote

Sorry but this green peacock are all hybrids.

burdgurl wrote:
some guy on ebay was listing Javas there recently saying his male had been DNA'd and that his male tested pure and that his lineage could be traced back to the last legal import of these birds.
I dunno.

Anyway, here is the latest update of what the birds I bought look like.
Java's or high % spauldings? One I think is def. a male, the other I still am having trouble with for he still looks like he has the molt going on in his saddle area.
These are young birds, maybe just one year old now .
Their legs are much longer than my other birds and the vocalizations sound more like a chicken, if you will.

burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Friedrich,

Your so right , have learned since this post I made that's the case .
Ok though, at least I've learned what to look for and have found that what a lot of other people are selling as Javas are not near as " green" as mine even are !
I did not pay very much for these birds so not too worried about it and would never try to sell them as Javas....just the spauldings they are. Wink
Friedrich

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote

Hello
I think it is better not to breed with such peacocks. Unfortunately the market is full with such birds.
Especially for green peacock is a new beginning in the breeding and maintenance needed. New peacocks new bloodlines and then breeding with a stud book.
Everything else is lost time. When I see what the breeders do it makes me not happy. There are peacocks bred in all colors, WHY.
Nothing is more beautiful than the original.We cannot improve or beautifying the natural she is perfect.
Also such a big organization like the UPA should more look of these.
Regards
Friedrich
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics Goto page Previous  1, 2