Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  They're heeeerrrrreeeee :) peachicks 2012
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care Goto page Previous  1, 2    
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote

Hi Arbor & lhROW
I wormed the chicks at 4 weeks because they began eating greens from the meadow and the farmers market. Regardless how well you wash greens, they can still contain unseen worm eggs and etc. Any food that can contain soil can also harbor coccidia. This is why chick starter with amprolium is important. So maybe I'm overprotective, but never lost any chicks after following this advice.

Love all the photos! Hope you'll post more.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote

Maybe that's why my chicks did have coccidia in their poop because of eating the greens and the chick starter with amprolium has kept it in check until now because they are asymptomatic.

They are getting treated for that now with Sulphadimethoxine 12.5%, 2 tbls in one gallon of water for 2 days, 1 tbls in one gallon for 4 days. Got this product at the feed store.

Poop was clear for any other parasite but will check poop again 2 weeks after this treatment.

Zenith49

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote

Well, they are coming up on 2 months old and I'm shocked to say that it appears that I have 5 boys and 0 girls. No wonder I couldn't tell them apart as they are all the same. I remember someone else having the same problem. I finally put some cable ties loosely around their ankles, each a different color but no red, and we checked their crests. All the crests are green. Plus they are getting green feathers on their backs.

I really, really, really wanted some/all hens, but I guess you play the hand your dealt. They are still adorable, but much more afraid of me that I like. Two (Winston and Beauregard), aren't very afraid of me, but the rest stay away if they can.

We have mangoes around here, so I cut one up and gave it to them. They were afraid of it at first. I think they ate it, but not when I was looking and I don't see any in the cage. I just gave them some grapes cut in half. No one has gone near yet.

I don't think they will make until they are 4 months old in their current digs as they'll be too big, but we'll see. Current cage is 4'x2'x3' (lxwxh) and they'll be going into something 10x6x6 so that should hold them for a while.

Any comments/questions. Anyone have some hens they'd like to trade?

TIA
Z.

Cory

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote

well this was a pretty busy post !!!! LOL It's been a while since I have been in here, but here is an update on my peachicks for you guys! Well ... all 6 of mine are still here and they are 3mnths old as of the 2nd of July. I have lucked out and have 3 pairs. I was a bit suprised as to initially I felt that I had 2 little males and the rest females, but there are three with barrring and the primaries are the rust orangish color. T

They are extremely healthy, while I have been feeding the Medicated Chick starter mixed with a game bird crumble and these babies have been munching bugs at night while they are still under a light. They absolutely LOVE banana's and I just started sharing watermelon with them. They started under a game hen and she was pretty motherly for them but you know that broody poop was just muderous on my nose in their house as well as the chicks walking all in it .... SOOOOO I removed her from the pen and it was my 6 peas with 4 little white keets. I separated the keets from them at 2 mnths of age because the guinea keets were just too aggressive at eating time.

All in all ... I did worm my babies with Panacur for 3 days and then did supplement them with Vit/Elec in their water since the weather has gotten to be sooo hot out here. I have also given the Sulmet water solution since I do give them grass and do not want any worms. I took out part of the wall in their house which is rather large: 7' tall 8' wide and 4.5' long while it sits 2.5' from the ground. they have plenty of roosts and half is wired and the other is solid for them to rest on the floor when they want.

I love to sit and watch them and they are becomming more attentive to me as I feed and water and also clean their house. I just love them but of course they will be sold. I think I just might keep one pair but I am not sure just yet.

Question will they be as vocal as the mature peafowl I have? I have noticed the smallest honks and squals when I clean the house they are in ... LOL it is soooo cute!

anyway, Happy Days!

Hello kidz !!! I am new to raising peafowl, I have been around agriculture all my life and always desired to raise Peafowl. I am just moving back from the Upper East Side of NYC and am ready to get back to what I love! AGRICULTURE!
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote

Congratulations, Cory! What a great photo of your babies. I was hoping for an update from you - thanks for posting again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote

Our 5 May chicks are almost 4 months old and I can see that the green on their necks is turning blue. They've all decided to gang up on Stan and have pulled all the feathers out of his back. I'm trying to make sure he gets enough to eat. Is there anything I can do besides separate him from the rest?

On a more positive note, one of our two adult hens Marge was determined to lay more eggs and she did. We knew she had a nest somewhere, we just didn't know where. It's hard to follow her as she can cut through yards that we can't. She built herself a 'nest' on the roof overhang of a front door of a neighbor on the next street. Their next door neighbor came over here to tell us her eggs had hatched. I had just left that morning for a convention in Denver, so my brother told me about it while I was on the road. They retrieved 4 chicks who appeared to be just a few days old. I wish I had been home then maybe I could have figured a way for Marge to raise the chicks, but we have no place for them that is secure and allows Marge in and my brother wasn't really considering that to be important.

I got back a week later and they appear healthy but very afraid of me. I brought them onto the porch for TS Isaac and I've been trying to spend time with them for them to get used to me. They're probably 3 weeks old now.

Mating season is definitely over as our male has moulted all his tail feathers and finally shut up. My neighbors and I are truly grateful.

Always a new surprise.

Z.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care Goto page Previous  1, 2