Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  I thought he was IB...but....
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
Maxie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:48 am Reply with quote

Bit of a quandry here! I had a pair of IB birds, but the peacock ran away last May (fed up with his wife sitting on eggs..) so I've had no bird to refer to for proper IB colourways.

It wasn't until I saw someone's icon on this message board (peacock in full flight, from below - wow) that I suddenly thought my two peacocks were a bit odd.

http://i32.tinypic.com/6qv3mu.jpg

http://i29.tinypic.com/9znlgi.jpg > that's his Mum in the background Very Happy

http://i32.tinypic.com/20sg1ts.jpg
Family - with the other peacock too.

Is that pied do you think? Thanks for your help! xx
bcraft

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote

those look like pure India Blues. Peacocks just starting to get their color feathers in the chest area. Very nice looking birds.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote

Ahhh! I wondered if it was because they were juvenille after I posted here. Thank you for letting me know, I really appreciate it. xx

Could I ask if you have any tips for stopping them roosting in a tree which isn't appropriate? They've decided not to roost in their regular oak tree, and have taken to roosting a large tree near my neighbours house. I'm worried about annoying my neighbours come May when they start screaming and honking at odd times. Is there any deterrent I can use to put them off roosting where I don't want them? I've already tried hanging lanterns with candles in from the branches, but I think my peafowl rather liked being illuminated, so it didn't put them off...lol

Thank you again! Very Happy x
kat
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote

Yes those are young India blues Smile

Your birds roost in the neighbors tree because for some reaon its more confortable, easier to get to, larger and more level branches.....
Below is a photo of my peacock tree.

Do things to make your tree better for them... trim exces branches so they have easy access to the best branches. Also Id start feeding them at roosting time right underneith the tree, so that after they eat they would just hop up to bed, and not travel to the neighbors. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics